Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry
Las Vegas, Nevada
Dr. Henry Kim
Affectionate Dental Care
Excellence in Cosmetic Dentistry
Periodontal Post-Operative Instructions:
Scaling and Root Planing
Periodontal disease has been shown to be responsible for approximately fifty
percent of tooth loss. We will do our best to help you control this condition.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask us.
After deep scale and root planing:
- If you smoke, DO NOT SMOKE for at least one hour.
Consider quitting, as smoking aggravates periodontal disease.
- Avoid spicy foods until your mouth tissues feel better,
approximately 24 - 48 hours. This varies with each person.
Salt water rinses will ease soreness. Rinse as often as you like using one
teaspoon of salt to one cup of warm water.
- If you feel it is necessary, take extra-strength
acetaminophen (Tylenol) pain relievers that are not aspirin types. Avoid
aspirin until tissues have healed.
- It is important to remember to brush and floss as usual,
just be a bit more gentle until your mouth feels better. Leaving food debris
on your teeth and gums will only invite more bacteria and soreness, so do
your best to keep your mouth clean.
Areas that negatively affect the
health of gums and supporting bone area:
- Poor oral hygiene habits.
- Plaque bacteria and accumulation of calculus (tartar), as well as faulty
restorations, fillings, crowns, bridges and food impaction.
- Nutrition specific deficiencies such as a lack of vitamin A, B complex, C,
D, and the minerals calcium and phosphorus.
- Adverse habits such as smoking, chewing tobacco, regular drinking of soda
and other sugared drinks between meals, chewing gum or candy that has sugar
as the base, eating baked goods that have small seeds which may get into
pockets around teeth.
In cases of Advanced Periodontal Disease, when deemed necessary, we may
refer you to a Periodontist.
Your successful experience with us will change your view of dentistry
For the best in smile make over in Las Vegas, Summerlin, Henderson area of Nevada,
contact our cosmetic dentistry professionals. Schedule your free consultation
© 2005 Henry Kim DDS
- www7 - sales9